Some dogs love to be heard, but their incessant barking tends to be undesirable for many of us. This is why numerous dog owners turn to the effective technology of bark collars to help our dogs learn when to stop barking. If you’re fed up of shouting commands to your dog when all it seems to do is encourage the noise, then a dog bark collar may be the solution for you. They offer a different approach to training your best friend while keeping your voice and patience intact.
There’s a variety of dog bark collars on the market each offering something a little different from the next. They often use either; sound, vibration or static shock as a signal for your dog to be quiet. These training collars usually offer different features and methods so we are going to review a selection and help you find the best dog bark collar for your pooch.
Things You Should Know Before Buying a Dog Bark Collar
How does a dog bark collar work?
- A microphone or similar device inside the collar picks up on sound or vibrational cues.
- The collar will produce negative stimulus in response.
- The dog will realize that when they bark something irritating/ uncomfortable will happen.
- The dogs learn not to constantly bark.
Different types of collar
There are a few different types of bark collar available so it can become very confusing as to which is the most effective or the best option for you and your dog.
Dog Bark Collars types:
- Remote Controlled
Stimulus most often used:
- Static Shock
There are pros and cons to each type so consider your specific situation to help decide which type of collar will be the most effective for your four-legged friend.
- Collar will detect the barking.
- When barking is detected the collar will initiative negative stimulus until dog stops.
- All automatic, once the collar is on and set up you don’t need to do anything.
Although, we feel it may be better to be there with your dog in order to give commands and strengthen the training. The other downside to this collar is that there is a chance the collar will shock your dog when picking up other sounds e.g. when the neighbor’s dog is barking.
Remote Controlled Collars
- Allows you to be in control of administering the negative stimulus.
- Means you have full control over when the collar shocks/ beeps/ vibrates.
- Big plus for training as you are there and able to give commands and positive reinforcement.
- The dog bark collar with remote generally does not work over long distances so it is best used purely for training purposes.
Shock Dog Bark Collars
- Most popular and well-known type of collar.
- Can be seen to some as a controversial measure.
- Will administer a static shock when your dog barks.
- Intensity is usually easily altered to suit the size/ breed/ temperament of the dog (avoid collars with only one intensity level).
Some of the shock collars are not suitable for smaller dog breeds due to the risk of causing harm. These collars must be properly set up to avoid harm to the dogs.
- Many collars will use noise in conjunction with another stimulus, for example, it will beep and then shock or beep and then vibrate.
- The noise acts as a warning signal to the dog.
- There are other collars available that use an ultrasonic sound which is unpleasant for the dog to signal them to stop barking.
- These collars will begin to vibrate when the dog is barking.
- The effect is similar to the shock collar but people see it as a less extreme and safer option which they would prefer to use on their dog.
Why use a dog bark collar?
- A simple, inexpensive way to teach your dog to stop constantly barking.
- Dog training lessons can be expensive and lengthy, a dog bark collar helps to rectify unwanted behavior through reinforcement and stimulus.
- Great training tool and more often than not dogs are very responsive to the collars.
|Dog Clipper||Waterproof||Dog Size||Our Rated|
|1. ALTMAN Dog Shock Collar||Waterproof||From 10-110lbs||Check on Amazon|
|2. QOUKETT Dog Bark Collar||No||15lbs-110lbs||Check on Amazon|
|3. Beep Anti-Barking Collar||Waterproof||From 6-120lbs||Check on Amazon|
|4. Petrainer PET998DRB1 Dog Training Collar||Water Resistant||From 15-120lbs||Check on Amazon|
|5. Bark Solution Smart Bark Collar||Protected water sprays and drops||From 15-120lbs||Check on Amazon|
Best Dog Bark Collars Reviews
1. ALTMAN Dog Shock Collar
The Altman collar comes with a remote control which gives you the ability to administer and alter the strength of a shock from up to 330 yards away.
This assists with training and allows you to use the dog collar for multiple training purposes, not just bark correction.
- Adjust level of intensity from 1- 100.
- Easy to use.
This collar is designed to fit any dog comfortably, is waterproof and features a power protect mode which helps to conserve the battery life of the collar. The collar is great value for money.
- 3 training types; static stimulation, vibration and beep mode.
- Can be used for multiple training purposes.
- Adjustable strength.
- Some users said the working range of the product wasn’t as far as advertised.
2. QOUKETT Dog Bark Collar
The QOUKETT dog bark collar administers a warning beep followed by vibration rather than the more traditional method of shocking the dog. This means the collar is a pain-free method of training your dog and it also makes it an ideal bark collar for smaller breeds that may be hurt by the strength of traditional collars.
- No shock
- Battery operated
- Durable collar
The small dog bark collar reviews have to include this collar as it offers a great alternative that trains your dog without risk harming them. This could be the best dog bark collar for Chihuahua and other small breeds thanks to the no shock system.
- No shock system.
- Perfect for smaller breeds.
- Collar safety features such as reflective stitching and LED tag.
- You cannot control when the collar produces noise and vibration.
3. The Best Industries Bark Collar with Upgraded Smart Chip
The Best Industries collar has an electric shock mode and a beep mode. You can adjust the sensitivity settings of the collar meaning that you can ensure that your dog receives a shock suitable for their size, this is very important as the adjustable collar size means it can fit any dog from 7lbs up to 120lbs.
- Suits dogs of all sizes.
- Overvoltage shock protection.
- Microprocessor controlled chip to help distinguish your dog barking from other sounds.
The collar has an automatic mode which will warn the dog, administer a shock and if the barking continues the sensitivity will increase if the barking continues on the highest setting the collar automatically turns off for 1 minute as a safety feature.
- Adjustable sensitivity settings.
- Affordable price.
- Some users say the collar activates when the dog is not barking e.g. when they are scratching.
- You can’t control when the collar shocks.
4. Petrainer PET998DRB1 Dog Training Collar
This dog training collar is remote controlled allowing the owner to administer a beep, vibration or static shock from a sizeable distance away (max 330 yards).
The collar offers 100 levels of vibration and shock, allowing you to easily select the right level for your dog.
- Can be used for all training scenarios not just to correct barking behavior.
- Fully customizable.
- Water resistant.
This electronic collar has additional, helpful features such as a light mode to help you see your dog even in dark conditions, automatic standby to help save power and auto-protect mode.
There is a two-dog system which means you can control two collars with the transmitter, making it a good option for owners who are training more than one dog. The versatility makes this a great dog bark collar for large dogs.
- Wide range of adjustment levels meaning you can customize the collar to your dog.
- Easy to use.
- It comes with rechargeable batteries.
- Not suitable for smaller dogs
5. Bark Solution Smart Bark Collar
This Bark Solution collar is a more basic design that alarms and shocks a dog when barking has been detected.
- 7 ‘correction’ levels
- Cost effective
- Automatic mode that gradually increases the shock intensity until your dog stops barking.
There is a manual option which means you can choose the shock sensitivity for your dog, however, this collar is designed more towards larger dogs and the shock can harm smaller dogs or puppies.
This dog bark collar also has a sensitivity control that allows you to adjust how easily the collar picks up on sound (sometimes collars pick up on other noises and process it as barking when the dog is actually quiet, this feature helps avoid these situations). This could be the best dog anti bark collar thanks to being simple yet effective.
- Adjustable sound sensitivity.
- Increasing level of sound and shock if the dog continues barking.
- Not suitable for smaller dogs or puppies.
Things to Look for When Buying a Barking Collar
- Does the collar use more than one stimuli?
- Can you increase the intensity if your dog does not respond at first?
- Can you make adjustments to the collar to suit your dog?
- Is the collar an appropriate size for your dog?
- Is the collar size adjustable?
- Are the shock/ noise/ vibration intensity levels adjustable?
- Is the manufacturer reputable?
- Can the collar be used for dogs of all sizes safely?
- Is the collar a good fit?
- Is the material durable and comfortable?
Are dog bark collars an effective method of training?
Dog collars can be a very effective method of training when used correctly and appropriately. That is why choosing the right collar for your needs is so important.
Dog bark collars are harmless yet effective if used properly.
- Extra precautions should be taken when your dog is a smaller breed.
Some of the collars available may cause harm to small dogs because of their intensity level, big dogs and small dogs can handle different intensities of shocks from collars so just be sure to consider the size and weight of your dog and confirm the product can be safely used on that breed.
- Do not use dog bark collars on puppies or very small dogs or dogs who have been mistreated or have an anxious temperament.
Dog bark collars have many variations and during this review, we have seen a few key examples of what is available. Of the different collars we reviewed, the best dog bark collar for us is the Petrainer PET998DRB1 Dog Training Collar. We have chosen this model due to its:
- Fully adaptable settings
- The inclusion of the three main stimuli
- It is controlled by remote.
We feel when you are there working with your dog it helps to reinforce the training and ensure no accidental shocks are given (as may be the case with automatic dog bark collars). The unique two dog system was also a bonus as it means you can control two dog collars with the remote which is ideal for all of us who have more than one unruly pup! The collar features a shock mode but it also gives you the opportunity to try the other methods first (some users even say they have never had to use the shock setting as the beep and vibration have worked effectively!).
Catherine Bono is a blogger, who is passionate about dogs and cats. She created Crittersitca.com to shares her experience as she studies to become a qualified vet.