We all know the problem of dogs shedding, and having a Golden Retriever can sometimes make it worse. They are usually the most frequent shedders of dog breeds and that is why maintaining them can be a problem for most owners.
You can reduce excessive shedding by grooming them more regularly. In line with this, you may be looking for the best clippers for Golden Retrievers. Clippers can be used for touch-ups, trimming, and even detail trimming for their ears and other sensitive parts that a normal razor wouldn’t do well with.
If you maintain your dog with professional clippers that are safely made for pets, you can help reduce the amount of shedding that your dog spreads throughout your house and upholstery.
Best Dog Clipper for Golden Retriever Reviews
Here are our top picks for the best clippers for Golden Retriever:
1. Ceenwes Dog Clippers Low Noise Pet Clippers
This complete kit can be your Golden Retriever’s best friend, as it comes with a clipper, some guide combs, and other grooming tools (10 in total).
We like the fact that you can run it for up to 70 minutes of use, which can be perfect for traveling or for quick and simple touch-ups for your dog. Since it has a cordless design, it is definitely travel-friendly for those pet owners who are often on the go. This can be ideal for giving your Golden Retriever (with a thick undercoat) a “doggy cut”.
With a noise level of only up to 60 dB, it can be less alarming for dogs with grooming anxiety. It also has an anti-jamming design. Thanks to the Titanium acute-angle blade with ceramic blades (movable), you can custom cut your dog’s hair from 0.8 to 2 mm depending on your preferences.
It has an ergonomic grip for its design and has a user-friendly set of controls for those who have never clipped their dog at home before.
- A complete kit with 10 tools
- Low noise levels at only 60 dB
- Adjustable ceramic blades
- Anti-jamming design
- Ergonomic grip
- No battery life indicator
2. CAHTUOO Dog Grooming Clippers
Made with a cordless design, this clipper can be your Golden Retriever’s travel buddy in case you need to go somewhere. It has 4 comb attachments included with the set so you can precisely cut and trim your dog’s hair in the right length. Its combination of titanium and ceramic blades allow you to clip your dog’s coat safely and finely.
Since it has an anti-wear motor that runs quietly, it can be okay for dogs that have never been clipped before. You can also see the charge indicator using the red/green LED light at the bottom. Adjusting the blades can be easy due to the turning mechanism (knob) in the middle of the unit.
The on and off switch is also simple to press so even beginners can use it conveniently. The package also comes with oil so you can easily maintain your clippers in no time. Other accessories include two types of scissors, a comb, and a power adapter for extended time for grooming.
- Cordless design, ideal for travel use
- Adjustable blades
- Charge indicator light
- Includes oil for maintenance
- Comes with various accessories
- The included scissors may not be designed well
3. TURN RAISE Pet Grooming Clipper
As a pet groomer, this one may be ideal for your Golden Retriever’s sensitive areas, such as around their face, eyes, ears, rump, and paws. It is very lightweight at only 0.25 lbs. and it also operates with less noise. You can use it for up to 2 hours with its cordless operation for a tangle-free grooming experience.
Since its top can be waterproof, you can use it for grooming your pet while they are being bathed, which can save you a significant amount of time in the long run. Each ceramic blade is at 0.5 inches and is removable for easy cleaning or switching so you can worry less about maintenance.
Many owners of Golden Retrievers found it less noisy than other trimmers. Since it is also lightweight, it can be easy to hold even for beginners and those who often get fatigued after using it. The charging cord is also long enough so you can even use it while charging.
- Lightweight and portable
- Cordless operation with AC option
- Less noisy than other trimmers
- Removable ceramic blade
- Waterproof for bath time
- May not work for large areas (only for sensitive and small areas)
4. Wahl Professional Animal Mini Figura Pet
Coming from a trusted brand, Wahl’s trimmer is meant for light touch-ups as well for your Golden Retriever. If your dog is about to get surgery or IV, as well as caring for wounds, it would be a good trimmer to consider since it has a surgical cut trimmer blade that has a 1/64 inch cutting length.
It is cordless and lightweight so you won’t have to exert a lot of effort in holding or operating it. With 6,000 SPM and a run time of up to 75 minutes, this one can be easily charged in 1 hour. Because of its contoured design, it can be easy to hold for long periods of time.
You also get 4 different combs for guiding you in touch-ups: #1, #2, #3, and #4. There are also other accessories included, such as blade oil, cleaning brush, and the like. It also comes with its own charging stand and charging cord for convenience. It is also backed by a 1-year warranty from Wahl.
- Can be used on sensitive parts of your dog
- Comes with guide combs
- Contoured and ergonomic design
- Easy charging mechanism
- Comes with blade oil
- May not work for large areas
5. Bousnic Dog Clippers 2-Speed Cordless Pet Grooming Clippers
With its 2-speed design, this dog clipper can be ideal if you want to fine-tune your pet grooming for your dog in different areas. It can be set to low speed (6,000 RPM) or high speed (7,000 RPM) depending on the needs. Its battery life can last up to 300 minutes due to its 2200 mAh lithium-ion battery that has no memory effect.
You can use the guide combs and the blade size adjustment to get a custom length of trimmed coat for your dog. And since it can only reach to about 50 dB, it will not startle your anxious dog. You can even get the unit in either black or white for the casing. It has various grooming tools included as well.
You can also just charge it easily using the USB cable and an adapter that you have. This can help ensure you that it will be just right for your country's voltage system, as all countries may differ with that.
- 2 speeds are available
- Lithium-ion battery has no memory effect
- Adjustable blade size
- Guide combs are included
- Low noise levels
- The guide combs may need a better design
Got a common question about Golden Retriever dog clippers? Here are some of the most frequently asked ones:
How to groom a dog by yourself?
You don’t have to always go to a salon to groom a dog: here are some simple steps that you can do at home:
- Prepare your clipper.
- Attach guide combs as needed.
- Prep your dog up.
- Groom your pet.
- Adjust your blades as needed.
- Clean up and give treats.
What is the Main Difference Between Human And Dog Clipper?
A dog clipper is a different kind of clipper because it has a stronger and faster speed because dog hair seems to be tougher and thicker.
Dog Clipper Vs. Human Clippers: Which to Use?
To avoid hurting your dog’s skin, you should stick to one that is meant for their skin and coat, as human clippers may jam because of the dog’s different coat texture, which tends to be thicker than a human hair.
Type of Coat
Golden retrievers usually have a golden coat, hence the name, which is pretty much on the average length and can be cut depending on the style that you want. Field dogs tend to have shorter hair while show dogs could have longer ones.
How To Deal With Golden Retriever Dog Coat
You can maintain their golden coat and reduce excessive shedding with the following:
- Brush them more often. Daily brushing can help catch loose hair or fur. For busy peeps, you can just brush them at least 2 times a week
- Clean up more often. Try an air purifier to get rid of pet dander and vacuum your upholstery more often.
- Keep their coat healthy with the right food. A good diet for a dog that excessively sheds is one that has fatty acids.
- Groom them more often. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a grooming shop, you can do it at home by getting yourself a DIY dog clipper kit for Golden Retrievers.
- Bathe them on a regular basis. Using rice oatmeal shampoo can be ideal for Golden Retrievers to help keep their coat healthy.
Grooming Styles For Golden Retriever
A Golden Retriever is best groomed from about 10 weeks old. Here are some common Golden Retriever styles you can try:
- Groomer’s cut – this one is the most basic cut for any Golden Retriever. It gives them a fluffy look without being too fluffy, so it’s best for when you don’t want your dog to look skinny in the process.
- Teddy cut – yet another famous Golden Retriever cut look, this one involves trimming in sensitive areas, such as around the ears, so you may need smaller dog clippers for that.
- Summer cut – here’s another Golden Retriever look that you can work with for the summer. It can be easily done with any dog clipper as well as curved shears for the tail.
Things To Consider Before buying Clipper for Golden Retriever
Here are some facts to consider when buying your Golden Retriever clippers:
Dogs get startled with too much motor noise, so it’s best to go for a quiet clipper with less than 60 dB of working noise levels.
Does it Vibrate?
Clippers with a low vibration can help you to reduce fatigue and sweating while grooming your pet.
Corded or Cordless?
Choose whether you want to go cordless or corded. Think about where you will use the dog clipper (indoors or for travel).
What are the Speeds?
Some clippers can have at least 2 speeds for you to play around with for different dog areas.
Accessories’ that come with the kit may include:
- Guide combs
- Blade oil
- Stainless steel comb
Is it Lightweight?
Choose a clipper that isn’t too bulky to carry for minutes or hours of trimming.
Does it have a Detachable Blade?
Detachable blades can be handy for when you want to clean it up quickly.
Dog Clipper Blade Guide
It’s important to think about the dog clipper’s blade, so here is some information:
Size of the Dog Clipper Blade
Usually, you will see numbers for the blades, such as #2, and # 4. Remember that higher numbers usually mean that your dog will have more hair cut out of them. A #30 blade is usually made for touch-ups when you don’t want to excessively cut your dog’s hair.
How to Sharpen Dog Clipper Blades
Sharpening dog clipper blades can be done with the following, depending on the instructions of your manufacturer:
- A diamond sharpener usually bought from the store or hardware
- Getting your dog clipper blades to a special blade sharpening shop
How To Maintain your Dog Clipper
Here are the things you should do when taking care of your clipper:
- Avoid soaking it in water (wetting it is okay if it is waterproof)
- Clean it up regularly or every use
- Sharpen the blades as needed
- Don’t use the clippers when the blades are dull (it can hurt your dog’s skin)
To wrap it up, our top pick for the best clippers for Golden Retriever is the Ceenwes Dog Clippers because of its low noise levels, ceramic blades that are adjustable, easy-grip handle, anti-jamming design, and because it is a 10-piece kit. It is also cordless so it is good for traveling.
While it has no battery life indicator, you can just plug it in for continuous use. We picked this one out of all the choices due to its beginner-friendly design and power.
Catherine Bono is a blogger, who is passionate about dogs and cats. She created Crittersitca.com to shares her experience as she studies to become a qualified vet.