Nowadays most dog owners consider their pooches a part of the family and it comes naturally that they want only the best for them. Safety is a big issue for many owners since all dogs are adventurous and some are more mischievous than others.
With the best wireless dog fence, you can rest assured that your pup can be adventurous and safe within the boundaries of your property. All wireless systems operate on the same principle but they aren’t the same, and you should make an informed decision.
To help you keep your pup active and safe we reviewed 10 great wireless fences and created a guide that will tell you what product will work for your individual needs.
|Dog Fence||Type||Feature||Our Rated|
|1. Extreme Dog Fence In-Ground Electric Dog Fence||In-Ground Electric Dog Fence||Check on Amazon|
|2. PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System||Wireless||Check on Amazon|
|3. PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence||Wireless||Check on Amazon|
|4. Electric Dog Fence System by PetControlHQ||Wireless, Electric||Check on Amazon|
|5. Sit Boo-Boo Advanced In-Ground Electric Dog Fence System||Wire||Check on Amazon|
|6. Mockins 2 Collar Wireless Electric Pet Fence||wireless||Check on Amazon|
|7. Fun Ace 100% Wireless Pet Containment System||Wireless||Check on Amazon|
|8. Aspen Pet Self Warming Beds||In Ground Electric Fence||Check on Amazon|
|9. Dr.Tiger 2 Receivers Electric Dog Fence||Underground electric dog fence system||Check on Amazon|
|10. Aspen Pet Self Warming Beds||In-Ground Fence System||Check on Amazon|
Our Top 10 Picks For The Best Invisible Dog Fence Reviews
1. Extreme Dog Fence In-Ground Electric Dog Fence
Extreme Dog Fence comes with a 1000′ wire and a transmitter that can cover up to 25 acres. Wires and collar are made to be durable and completely waterproof.
You don’t have to worry if your dog decides to take a dip since the collar can be submerged up to 100 feet and still be dry. The collar is one of the smallest and lightest and it can be safely used on dogs that weigh more than 8 pounds.
It is also equipped with warning beeping sound, 5 static correction functions and 2 progressive functions that warn a dog when he gets close to the boundaries. This system is also equipped to deal with any type of interference and don’t malfunctions causing holes in the containment area.
This particular system is made only for one dog, but Extreme Dog Fence has a variety of other systems that can keep up to 5 dogs safely contained within boundaries.
The collar contains disposable proprietary batteries which are a turn off for some owners. However, patented battery check ensures that you know when exactly batteries are running low.
This product is proudly made in the U.S.A and it is more heavy duty than other similar product. However, most dog parents didn’t mind digging holes for the wires and love being able to customize the boundaries according to their needs.
- Made from durable and high-quality materials
- It works well under any type of interference
- The collar is light weighted and suitable even for small dogs
- You can customize the boundaries according to your needs
- Some owners experienced problems with warning beeps
- It seems that product comes with no instructions
2. PetSafe Wireless Containment System
This wireless pet containment system by PetSafe is easy to set up, and it is fully functional and ready to use within 1-2 hours.
The great thing about this product is that you don’t have to dig any holes and set the wires in the ground.
The wireless power transmitter covers a circular area up to ½ of an acre or 180 feet in diameter and provides safe boundaries for your pup to play in. The waterproof receiver collar comes with adjustable neck sizes and can be used on dogs that weigh more than 8 pounds.
The collar contains 5 levels of static correction and a tone-only mode, which is a great feature to have while adjusting your dog to the boundaries of invisible fence. The safety shut-off stops static correction after 30 seconds, so you can rest assured that your pup isn’t feeling any pain.
Training your dog to obey new boundaries won’t be a problem since PetSafe system includes 50 boundary training flags. These can help your dog figure the total space of the confinement without being shocked.
PetSafe also gives you an opportunity of expanding your dog’s play area bu buying additional transmitters. Furthermore, this dog fence system can keep more than one dog contained if you buy enough collars.
Most owners like that this wireless dog fence is easy to set up and that their dogs got used to the new boundaries in no time. According to reviews even mischievous, and large dogs love staying in their play area and don't feel the need to wander around.
- Very easy to set up
- The possibility of expanding the play area
- Can contain more than one dog
- Dogs are easily trained and react well to this system
- Doesn't work for a sloped yard
- Some owners experienced problems with fuzzy boundaries
3. PetSafe Stay+Play Wireless Fence
Stay+Play is a portable wireless system by PetSafe that is easy to set up and can be used for both cats and dogs.
It offers a confined play area of ¾ of an acre and can be used for small dogs that weigh more than 5 pounds.
The collar contains 5 levels of static correction and a tone-only mode that alerts your pup when he is close to the boundaries. This feature comes in handy if you plan to use this system for a small dog since static correction can be too strong for some small breeds.
Just like with the previous model, PetSmart offers you a possibility to expand the play area and add any number of pets in it. And as an additional safety precaution for small dogs, the electric shock waves are turned off after 15 seconds.
The collar is made to be completely waterproof so you don't have to worry about your pup's safety if he likes playing in the rain. Batteries are built in the collar and rechargeable which will save you some extra money in the long run.
The perfect size of the unit and the fact that it works even for the most adventurous dogs are the things most owners love about this product. Dogs are trained easily and learn to stay within the boundaries after only one shock correction.
- Easily portable containment space
- Works well for small dogs and has lower shock charge
- Batteries are built in and rechargeable
- You can keep more than one dog in a play area
- Some owners experienced numerous malfunctions
- The transmitter can shock dogs without reason
4. Wireless Combo Electric Dog Fence System by PetControlHQ
The electric dog fence system by PetControlHQ can be used for leash-off training and to train your dog to stay in the yard.
The 150 meters of heavy-duty wire can be expendable and cover a large area up to 10 acres.
You can install the wire above or below ground just make sure that it isn’t close to any metal objects that can make holes in your boundaries. The added bonus of using a wire is that you can design the shape of playing area for your dog.
With the in-ground fence, you can make invisible boundaries that will protect your pool or flower garden you work so hard on. Wireless Combo Electric Dog Fence System comes with two collars that have beep and vibration warnings and 3 levels of static correction.
The collars can be used for dogs weighing from 11-154 pounds and the electric shock lasts only 10 seconds. Collars are waterproof and rechargeable so you will save money on batteries in the long run.
Dogs are easily trained to stay within the boundaries with the remote you control, and you also get a chance to teach your mischievous dog how to behave during walks.
This system allows training up to 3 dogs at once, and you can keep more within the boundaries of electric fence.
- Even though it contains wire, this system is easy to install
- You can customize the boundaries according to your needs
- Works well for small, medium, and large dogs
- It helps to train and keep your dog safe at the same time
- Batteries don't hold very long
- Some owners experience malfunctioning issues
5. Sit Boo-Boo Advanced In-Ground Electric Dog Fence System
The Advanced In-Ground Electric Dog Fence may be a good choice for owners who want to cover a large playing area. This system contains 500 foot of durable copper wire that can be used to set boundaries in any area of your backyard.
With coverage of 20 acres, you can rest assured that your pup will have plenty of space to run around and explore but still be safe. The whole system is light and you have the option of taking it with you when you are traveling with your dog.
The collar is equipped with 5 levels of gentle radio wave frequencies that won’t harm your dog and will at the same time remind him to stay within the boundaries. As your pup gets closer to the fence the collar will first emit warning tones and if necessary proceed with vibration and static.
This is a great feature if you are worried about your dog’s reaction to static corrections. The collar is waterproof and can be used on dogs that weigh 8-100 pounds.
The in-ground system is a good choice for owners who need to restrict their dog's access to some areas of the yard. This product works great for most owners and they are particularly excited about the customer service.
The gentle corrections work well even on the best four-legged escape artists and provide a piece of mind when it comes to the safety of your dog.
- The system is easy to assemble and portable
- It covers a huge amount of space and keeps a dog in it
- Uses gentle corrections starting with a warning beeps
- Dogs are easily trained to respect their new boundaries
- Inconsistencies when it comes to warning beeps
- Some owners weren't able to get the fence working
6. Mockins 2 Collar Wireless Electric Pet Fence
If you are looking for an electric dog fence that won’t require digging up your entire yard you can check Mockins wireless system. It is portable, easy to install and comes with two collars which save money if you are shopping for 2 dogs.
This dog containment space covers up to 1600 feet and the transmitter strength can be adjusted to cover obstacles and wooded area. The system is easy to set and you only have to pair the collars to the transmitter and set your boundary flags.
The collar is made to fit the dogs of all sizes and it is also waterproof. This feature will keep your dog safe if he likes taking dips in the pool or rolling in muddy puddles.
Batteries in the collar are rechargeable and according to this wireless fence reviews, batteries are durable and have a good life. You can adjust the strength of the electric shock your dog receives, and many owners are glad to have that opportunity.
And since the collar has a wide range of vibration setting it can at the same time help you train your dog and discourage bad behaviors.
Most owners agree that the level 5 setting is strong enough to get the attention of giant and large breeds so be careful when using shocks on smaller dogs.
- It's an economical choice for budget-conscious owners
- Easy to install and portable
- This system can be used for training and confinement
- The manufacturer offers lifelong warranty
- The system easily develops charging problems
- The collar has strong settings that can cause skin burns
7. Fun Ace 100% Wireless Pet Containment System
This model of Wireless Pet Containment System is made for one dog and it is designed to cover up to 17 acres.
The system comes with a patented wifi radio transmitter and receiver collar that will shock a dog for 54 seconds max.
The collar is equipped with beeping, vibration, and shocking setting and you can choose which one you want to use. Because of these features, this collar can also be used to train a dog to obey basic commands and behaves during walks.
The thing you need to consider when it comes to this product is where you want to set your dog’s containment system. This one can pick various interferences from objects and trees and will shock a dog until he is in the boundaries again.
This wireless fence can be used on dogs of all sizes as long they weigh more than 10 pounds. The system is easy to assemble and will give your dog plenty of space to roam freely.
Most owners find this wireless system great because their dogs reacted very well to it. That means that even the most stubborn and mischievous pups responded well to static correction and learned to stay within their play boundaries after a few days.
- The system is easy to install and use
- It works well on small dogs and doesn't emit strong shocks
- Besides keeping a dog safe the collar can be used for training
- Covers a large area and provides plenty of play space
- The system can send shocks because of interferences
- Collars aren't waterproof
8. GoodBoy Invisible In-Ground Electric Fence For Dogs
As the name of the brand suggests it, the Invisible In-Ground Electric Fence for dogs will transform a mischievous pup into a good boy.
This is a 650 feet wired electric fence, which is easy to install with a little help from a user’s manual.
You will receive 2 rechargeable and waterproof collars that can be used on dogs of different sizes, breeds, and temperaments. However, the static correction can be too strong for small and toy breeds so be careful.
The collar contains warning beeps that get activated when a dog is 1 or 20 feet from the boundary. If the dog doesn’t react the mild electric shock will be released and if he perseveres the intense corrections will kick in.
You don't have to worry about the safety of your dog since even the stubborn ones learn how to stay within boundaries after one or two shocks. You can adjust the strength of corrections your dog will receive using the indoor transmitter.
This system is made to contain two dogs, but if you feel like it there is a room for expansion.
Additional wires and flags can be bought separately and it will increase the boundary limits up to 5 acres.
Owners like that this wired dog fence is easy to set up, and their dogs learned to stay safe within boundaries really fast.
- User-friendly manual and the ease of setting the system
- There is an option to expand the boundaries and get extra space
- Collar gives enough warning signs before shocking a dog
- Dogs react well to this system and are trained easily
- The batteries need to be charged regularly
- In some cases, the collar just beeps without shocking a dog
9. Dr.Tiger 2 Receivers Electric Dog Fence, Invisible Fence For Dogs or Cats
This is a wired dog electric fence which means that you will have to prepare for some digging. But this may be well worth it since you can make a customized area for your dog.
This Invisible Electric Dog Fence has a powerful transmitter that can cover large acres and the wire that can fence one acre of land. If you want to have a larger area for your dog, you can buy more wire additionally.
The kit contains two waterproof and rechargeable wireless collars that can be used on dogs over 10 pounds. The collar can also serve to reinforce good behavior and in training in cases when nothing else works.
Collars are equipped with lithium batteries that need to be charged for 3 hours in order to keep your dog safe in his fenced area. The collar has beeping, vibration, and static correction settings which you can adjust according to your needs.
Some owners recommend using static correction on the lowest setting since they tried the shocks on themselves and they seem too strong. If you are worried about this try using only tone warnings and vibrations to discourage your dog from running away.
Besides keeping your dog safe from traffic and neighboring dogs, this system can also be used for training. Set the collar on vibration or distribute small shocks to discourage any mischievous ideas your dog may have.
- The system takes only a few hours to install
- The kit includes two collars that take only 3 hours to charge
- You have the option to customize the boundaries
- The customer service is friendly and there to help
- The static shocks can be too strong for some dogs
10. Sport Dog Brand In-Ground Fence System
The Containment System by Sport Dog Brand contains 1000 feet of wire, 100 flags that will help you set up boundaries, transmitter, and a collar.
This system can cover 1 1/3 acres of land with the possibility of expanding.
The collar receiver is set to have tone warning, vibration, and 4 different levels of static correction. This feature helps dogs of different temperament to learn how to respect boundaries and stay in the containment area.
With the purchase of additional collars, you can add an unlimited number of dogs to the system. The collar is safe to use on dogs that weigh more than 10 pounds, and you can adjust the correction according to your dog’s size.
Most owners who had problems keeping their dogs contain with physical fences found that this product taught their pups to stay within boundaries.
According to some reviews, collars are too big and sturdy for smaller dogs to wear.
- This system is sturdy and well designed to work in different weathers
- The product comes with a two-year warranty
- Dogs adapt well to the invisible barrier and stay inside it
- Some dogs managed to escape
- It seems that different parts of the kit can malfunction
How to choose the best wireless dog fence?
Fencing your backyard can be expensive and some dogs find ways to jump over or dig under it, and this can’t happen with a wireless fence. Furthermore, installing a real fence can be expensive and not an option when you are renting, so what kind of fence is right for you?
- Wireless dog fences: Are easy to install, and are gaining popularity because they can be portable. This kind of containment systems are up and running in 1-2 hours and they keep most dogs inside boundaries.
- Wired dog fences: This kind of fences require digging holes and setting the invisible barrier that will keep your dog within boundaries. In most cases, these fences have stronger transmitters that work for 2 acres and larger areas.
What are the advantages of wireless fences?
The benefits of invisible dog fence are numerous, and in some cases, this is the only way to keep an adventurous dog out of trouble.
- Unobstructed views: If you own a home with a magnificent view of the lake it will be a real shame to obstruct it with a wooden or metal fence. On the other hand, the invisible fence will protect your dog and the view.
- Cost: Setting up a real fence can cost you more than $1000 depending on the area you wish to enclose. The price of wireless dog fence can range from $100-$600 and you can take it with you if you decide to move.
- Clear boundaries: Even if the physical barrier looks more reliable, some dogs are very creative and found ways around it. When it comes to wireless dog fences, once you set the boundaries your dog isn’t going anywhere.
- Customization: A real fence can secure the areas like a pool or flower garden, but that doesn’t look aesthetically appealing. However, with the wireless fence, you can restrict your dog’s access to certain areas and keep them protected.
Things to look for in invisible dog fence?
There are many different kinds of wireless dog fences, and in the end, your individual needs will determine the model that works for you.
- Consider the size of your dog when you are shopping for an invisible fence. Most models work only on dogs that weigh more than 8 pounds.
- Different objects and obstructions can cause holes in the boundaries of the invisible fence. In most cases, wired dog fences perform better with obstructions and will keep a dog safely contained.
- The retreat response is the distance your dog must retreat before he stops receiving static correction. This distance is shorter in a wired system which makes teaching a dog where boundaries are, much easier.
- If you like to travel with your dog, it is best to look for a wireless containment system. Check different models and see which one seems the easiest to install and pack.
- Owners that have more than one dog need to look for systems that can contain multiple pups and offer more than one collar in the kit. Some systems can sustain an unlimited number of pets but you will have to spend extra money on more collars.
How to use a wireless dog containment system?
- Introduce your dog to the fence: Keep your dog on a leash and show him the flags that mark the boundary lines in order to train him. After that get your dog close to the line so he can get acquainted with the warning beeping sound and retreat from the boundaries.
- Introduce the correction: Once your dog is familiar with the boundaries show him the consequences of crossing them. Introduce a low shock so your dog is aware of what happens when he ignores the beeping sound.
- Test your dog: Place some treats and toys beyond the boundary to show your dog that no matter what lies on the other side, the boundary must be respected.
- Remove the leash: Let your dog play and explore his new designated area. Do this gradually with short sessions, until your dog is able to stay within boundaries alone for longer amounts of time.
Are wireless dog fences safe?
When it comes to invisible dog fences, most owners are concerned about how a dog is going to react to electric shock. Before you dismiss the idea of electric fence completely you should know that they can’t harm your dog in any way, and are there to reinforce positive behavior.
However, there are some concerns when it comes to:
- Dogs younger than 6 months: You shouldn’t use an electric fence and static correction on a dog that is younger than 6 months. Puppies aren’t developed yet to fully understand the point of punishment and the shocks can cause cognitive damages.
- Small and toy breeds: Most invisible fences are made for dogs that weigh more than 8 pounds and the shocks can be too strong for a smaller dog. Furthermore, the collars are usually robust and it can be hard for a small dog to wear one.
Who is the winner?
Having space where your dog can play and get enough exercise is important for his overall health and well-being, but safety comes first. With the best wireless dog fence, you can rest assured that your pup is safe and having a great time in your backyard.
With that being said we recommend Extreme In-Ground Electric Dog Fence as the safest and the most reliable option for mischievous dogs. This is a durable system that is easy to install and works well even when encountered with various interferences.
Catherine Bono is a blogger, who is passionate about dogs and cats. She created Crittersitca.com to shares her experience as she studies to become a qualified vet.