When the kittens are growing, they will naturally relieve themselves in dirt or sand. This means that you need to know how to litter train a kitten starting today. Without having a litter, you might find the kittens going on your carpet and that is not something you would want. Below are some of the steps to start with litter training your kitten.
Buying the litter box
– You might be thinking of getting small litter boxes for the kitten, but that is not wise. The problem is that the kittens tend to grow really fast, so instead of having to buy a new litter box every few months, it would be better to buy a bigger one. The other problem is that you have to retrain the kitten once you bring in a new litter box.
– Some might have concerns that the kittens will have a hard time getting into the litter if it is too big. So long as the litter box has one side being low, it should be enough for them to step into the litter and relieve themselves. You can create a small ramp on the lower side to make it easy for the kittens to get in and out of the litter.
– Consider getting an enclosed litter box. The enclosed litter box has several advantages one of them being that it helps in cutting down the smell of the feces. The kittens also would like some privacy when relieving themselves. They would always feel comfortable when doing this without someone watching them. Just make sure that the litter box is big enough to make it easy for the kitten to turn around in it. Some kittens have the behavior of turning around to sniff their feces and before buying them.
– There are several considerations to have to keep in mind when buying the litter for the kittens. Most importantly, choose a litter with dust free material. The dust tends to irritate the kitten lungs most of the time. Try to keep the litter unscented as much as possible. As much as you might want to conceal the smell of feces, the kittens and cats are not the biggest fans of perfumed litter. If the scent is overwhelming, the kittens will use other places to relieve themselves.
Comparison Table: 5 Cat box house
|Curious Cat Cube||16.5 x 15.5 x 15.5 inches||7.2 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
|Merry Products Pet House||20 x 18 x 25 inches||13.6 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
|Cat Tree Furniture Beige||21 x 21 x 52 inches||23 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
|K&H Manufacturing Outdoor Kitty House||22 x 18 x 17 inches||3.8 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
|Outdoor Insulated Cat House with Custom Pet Pillow||24 x 24 x 23 inches||15 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
Introduce the kittens to the litter box
– The next step on how to litter train a kitten is the introduction of the litter to the kitten. Start by placing the box in a peaceful place with no high traffic. Rooms such as the kitchen or lounge are not the best places to keep the litter. The ideal location would be a place that is easily accessible by the kittens and provides lots of privacy that will make the kittens feel comfortable.
– You now have to keep the kittens in the litter more often. This will make the kittens to smell, feel and get used to staying in the litter. The kittens spend more time in the litter in the event it feels going to the bathroom. The best would be keeping the kitten in the litter after it eats, wakes up or any other time you predict it might just want to relieve itself. Some of the kittens will understand the need of having the litter box while others will need additional training. Just be patient with those needing additional training to use the litter.
– It is important to ensure there are enough litter boxes for the kittens. Depending on the number of kittens you have, it is possible that you might have to get additional litter boxes to cover their needs.
Comparison Table: 5 Cat litter box
|RIS Open Top Cat Litter Box||15 x 19 x 11.75 inches||1.9 lbs||Check on Amazon.com|
|ScoopFree Litter Tray Refills - 3-Pack||23 x 15.5 x 7.5 inches||18.3 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
|Tidy Cats Cat Litter||9.8 x 21 x 16.3 inches||9.3 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
|Hagen CatIt Hooded Cat Litter Box||22 x 17 x 18.3 inches||5 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
|Premium Cat Litter Mat - XL Super Size||35 x 0.3 x 23.6 inches||2.4 pounds||Check on Amazon.com|
Keeping the litter clean
– Just humans, you would not want to use a dirty bathroom, so make sure that the litter box is kept clean always. The kittens too do not like the dirty litter boxes, this might make them to find cleaner places to relieve themselves. Expect the victims to be the carpets as the kittens love a nice soft place to relieve themselves. To clean the litter box, ensure to scoop the waste out of the box and throw them away. Just leave small bits of feces in the litter box to help the kitten remember what is the box used for. If you use automatic cat food feeder be sure to keep them separate
– Once a week, you have to empty the entire box and clean the litter thoroughly. This will mean removing all the litter content and replacing them after the litter box is all dried up.
– Keep the cat stay away from the toilet, they may drinking water out of it which is caused the problem of their health. In this case we suggest you to by a drinking fountain for your cat.
– You have to remove any cases of the cat relieving itself outside the litter box. If you leave the feces or urine outside the litter box for long, the kitten will think it is the right thing to do. Cleaning will make the kitten not to repeat making the same mistake again later on in the same area.