Most people believe that dogs can eat basically anything you throw at them. But this isn’t true at all. Dogs aren’t walking garbage disposals. Just like human beings, some pets have sensitive stomachs which are easily irritated by the food they consume. This can be quite challenging for dog owners who often struggle to find a good food to make their dogs comfortable during mealtimes. Your dog’s sensitive stomach may be caused by his diet. Sometimes, finding the best dog food for sensitive stomachs can reduce the symptoms and get the GI tract working properly again.
- 1 What Could Cause Sensitive Stomachs in Dogs?
- 2 Benefits of Buying Special Food for Sensitive Stomach
- 3 Our List of Best Food for Dogs Have a Sensitive Stomach
- 4 Reviews: Best dog food for sensitive stomach and diarrhea
- 4.1 1. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food
- 4.2 2. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
- 4.3 3. Blue Buffalo Basics
- 4.4 4. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
- 4.5 5. Wellness Simple Natural Wet Canned
- 4.6 6. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Wet Dog Food
- 4.7 7. Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- 4.8 8. Purina Pro Plan Focus Dry Adult Dog Food, Sensitive Skin, and Stomach Formula
- 5 How to Be Sure Your Dog Suffers From a Sensitive Stomach
- 6 How can you tell the quality ingredients that must be in the dog’s diet?
- 7 Conclusion
What Could Cause Sensitive Stomachs in Dogs?
Even though this might feel like investing so much money, remember that buying dog food is expensive as well. You may save some money by visiting a vet, as he/she can recommend a dog food that would suit the particular dog. While you are there, ask for the vet’s opinion about what you have been feeding the dog as well.
After ruling out serious conditions such as stomach cancer, you should examine the other things that could cause sensitive stomachs in dogs. In the market today, we have so many food items that some dogs can’t eat. Some other dogs may be sensitive to proteins. One other possibility is that the dog’s food doesn’t have sufficient vitamins, fiber, and minerals, or has too much of another substance, like fat. Sometimes, the dog’s food may be innocent in all this. If your dog is one of those that likes shuffling through the trash or swallows a lot of table scraps and treats, then it may also be another factor causing the upset stomach.
Benefits of Buying Special Food for Sensitive Stomach
Food for sensitive stomachs help prevents allergic reactions in dogs. You should study your four-legged companions to know when they require special food. Some benefits of buying such food include;
- Prevents allergic reactions: a lot of dogs may become allergic to regular food, and this is when the need special food to protect their health.
- Prevents inflammatory bowel diseases: buying special food for dogs with sensitive stomachs could also prevent inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Balanced diet: a balanced diet helps the dog develop a healthy gut with balanced bacteria.
- Prevents diarrhea: all dogs display their stomach problems through diarrhea; when the dog is hale and hearty, his stool will have a solid form; loose stool is a caused by food allergy. Reducing the ingredients in the food will help with digestion.
- Prevents inactivity: tummy problems can cause inactivity, and that can lead to other health problems.
- Reduces food sensitivities: healthy food will provide nourishment for the dog’s sensitive side.
- Prevents pain and suffering: when your dog is free from a digestive problem, he will not have to suffer any pain.
- Prevents allergic reaction to food: Dogs may develop an allergy if they eat the same food for a long time. You should change the diet often to prevent it.
- Gives them healthy skin: good food can be reflected in the skin of a dog. Special food for sensitive stomach will make their skin healthy and keep them free from skin diseases.
Our List of Best Food for Dogs Have a Sensitive Stomach
|Hill's Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food||Adult||Check on Amazon.com|
|Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food||Adult||Check on Amazon.com|
|Blue Buffalo Basics||Adult||Check on Amazon.com|
|Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food||Adult||Check on Amazon.com|
|Wellness Simple Natural Wet Canned||Puppies, Adults||Check on Amazon.com|
|Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Wet Dog Food||Puppies, Adults||Check on Amazon.com|
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach||Adult||Check on Amazon.com|
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Dry, Sensitive Skin, and Stomach||Adult||Check on Amazon.com|
Reviews: Best dog food for sensitive stomach and diarrhea
1. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food
Taking the first spot on our list is the Hill’s Science dry food. It has ingredients that are balanced, easily digestible, and also natural. Its protein sources include lamb, chicken, or salmon. The blends from this dog food have been balanced with peas, brewer’s rice, and grains, carrots, apples, to give adult dogs a balanced meal without any irritation. It may be an excellent food for boxer or shih tzu and other dogs that have sensitive stomachs.
- Less expensive dog food.
- Got ingredients that are digestible, balanced and natural.
- Protein sources from lamb, chicken, or salmon.
- Excellent for coat and skin problems.
- Top vet recommended.
- Not formulas for puppies under 3 months
2. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
This dog food has a blend of rice, salmon, and oats. Such ingredients may help support the dog’s skin, immunity, and digestion. Its protein source is salmon which helps prevent pain and reactions associated with food sensitivities. It is also easy to digest. It may help improve your dog’s digestion issues and skin itching. highly recommend for labs, pitbulls and other large breed.
- Made with premium salmon
- The protein source helps reduce the risk of food sensitivities.
- Doesn’t contains soy, corn, or wheat.
- It is naturally preserved.
- Easy to digest and easy on the digestive system.
- It contains non-chelated minerals.
3. Blue Buffalo Basics
This grain free dog food for sensitive stomach contains turkey as the main ingredient.It may also be perfect for stomach sensitivities because it promotes digestion and immunity.
The brand uses turkey as the main ingredient. A small pack of 11 pounds can be gotten to test the dog’s diet before deciding on the one to get. Also, this one has formulas fit for dogs of different ages and sizes.
- Made for adult dogs
- The main ingredient is Turkey
- All the ingredients are gotten from within the U.S.A.
- It has a limited ingredient recipe
- This food wasn’t ideal for all allergies, but it’s a good food for sensitive stomach and gas.
4. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
The holistic dog food for sensitive stomach is made with proteins such as duck meal, chicken meal, and lamb meal with digestible carbohydrates like brown rice and oats. The recipes also consist of a mix of active probiotics, healthy fibers, and digestive enzymes. When these additives are combined with other healthy natural ingredients, they may help your dog to digest food properly.
- It is easily digestible
- Has probiotics and digestive enzymes
- It is made with proteins
- It has natural ingredients
- Your dog may love this food if you have a less picky eater
5. Wellness Simple Natural Wet Canned
Taking the fifth spot on the best natural dog food for sensitive stomach list is Wellness Simple Natural Wet Canned. This wet dog food for sensitive stomach is free of corn, wheat, soy, colors, gluten, artificial preservatives, and flavors. It may provide a complete nutrition for your pet who suffers from food sensitivities. The food may offer a source of protein as well as easily digestible carbohydrates to help the dog stay healthy and comfortable without swallowing potentially problematic ingredients. Some dog owners have tagged it the best canned dog food for sensitive stomach.
- Good Quality
- Easily Digestible
- Good Taste
- Not Spicy
- Quite costly
6. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Wet Dog Food
This canned dog food for sensitive stomach combines fresh duck, and potatoes, and natural ingredients which may help rebuild the dog’s immune system. This Canned Dog Food may be a great choice for fussy eaters. The food may also help kindle an older dog’s appetite.
- It is tasty
- Easy to digest
- Improves fur coat.
- Difficult to open or close
7. Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
Among the best dog food for puppy with sensitive stomach, the Wellness Simple Natural takes the second spot. This dog food has a limited number of ingredients to help dogs with sensitive stomachs. It doesn’t contain irritants and allergens. The brand has other variants as well as sizes to cater to the taste of the dog. The variants are salmon and peas, oatmeal and duck, lamb and oatmeal, turkey and potato and salmon and potato. Each variant has a single protein and is devoid of wheat or gluten. It may be a good option for picky dogs such as Terrier, chihuahua or yorkie . Some shih tzu owners considered this food is the best for shih tzu with sensitive stomach.
- Several flavors to cater to picky dogs.
- The flavors contain just one protein source.
- It doesn’t have gluten or wheat.
- Only natural ingredients are used.
- It smells a little strong.
8. Purina Pro Plan Focus Dry Adult Dog Food, Sensitive Skin, and Stomach Formula
This organic dog food for sensitive stomachs may be an ideal daily meal for an adult dog. It’s made from salmon and provides protein for energy and strength, and grains for fiber and carbohydrates. The major ingredient is salmon for support muscle mass. While the oatmeal and rice may be gentle on the digestive tract and stomach.It may also stop the dog’s foul-smelling gas, and ease an upset stomach. For a dog who suffers pancreatitis, it may help with gagging and vomiting.
- Eases an upset stomach.
- Promotes a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- Contains both oatmeal and rice, which are easily digestible
- Doesn’t contain soy, corn, or artificial flavors or colors.
- It isn’t a good choice for Rottweiler or Great Dane.
How to Be Sure Your Dog Suffers From a Sensitive Stomach
Some symptoms of sensitive stomachs include;
- Occasional vomiting
- Loose stools
A dog can have a single symptom or all of them, but if any of these symptoms becomes severe, then you need to speak to your vet as soon as possible. Diarrhea and vomiting are some signs of serious illnesses. Flatulence may also be a sign of a condition or disease that will require immediate veterinary attention.
Remove Extra Food Items
Knowing for sure if your dog’s meals are causing digestive issues is relatively easy, although it may require some determination on your own part. Begin by getting rid of any additional food items from the dog’s diet. This could include treats, table scraps, and anything your dog may enjoy chewing on during the day. You also need to monitor the dog closely to find out if he’s sneaking into the litter box, trash, or any other dirty area that make dogs ill. This will improve the stomach condition and also save him from the veterinary emergency room.
When your dog’s stomach doesn’t improve after a few days despite the removal of scraps and treats, and you are sure that he’s finding his way into the trash in your absence, then you need to examine the dog food critically. How then do you spot the ingredients that cause stomach upset?
Ingredients that Cause Upset Stomachs
All dogs are different. Some may digest everything that enters their stomach without having a problem, including full rolls of toilet paper. Other dogs may have some discomfort when there’s a mild change in diet. Below are some aspects of dog nutrition that all dog owners should know as it will help them find the best dog food for sensitive stomach and diarrhea.
Some dogs cannot digest some types of protein with ease. For instance, if your dog eats a chicken-based diet, switch to another protein source, such as fish or lamb, beef, to see if it will resolve the problem.
Sometimes dogs actually need some extra fiber in their meals, just like humans. Beet pulp is one great source of fiber, which digests properly without affecting the digestibility of other nutrients.Some other recommended fiber sources in commercial dog foods include psyllium and inulin. Consult your vet and ask if you could add some fiber to the dog’s diet.
When dog food is high in fat,it could be harder to digest as compared to diets which are higher in carbohydrates and protein. Look at the dog food ingredient label to see if excess fats and oils are enumerated as one of the first four ingredients. When it is, it could be an indicator that the dog food is too high in fat and your dog’s digestive system can’t handle it. Compare the current dog food to some other brands to find one that has reduced fat quantities. One easy way to deal with this is by going through the ingredients list to check the fat percentage on the label.
Vitamins and Minerals
Some commercial dog foods have adequate amounts of both vitamins and minerals. However, when you’re feeding the pet a specialty diet, such as a home cooked meal or a raw diet, it is possible that the dog could be having a nutrient deficiency. Talk to your vet to ensure that you’re feeding the dog all the required nutrients for proper digestion. After that, adjust the diet accordingly.
How can you tell the quality ingredients that must be in the dog’s diet?
Determining the quality of ingredients in your dog food can be a tricky task. Labels aren’t permitted to contain information about the grade or quality of a certain ingredient. Instead, dog owners are allowed to guess following the input of vets, price, and published information.
This doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to tell quality ingredients apart. You could try to look at previous clinical studies which were performed on a brand of food. Pick a brand that you believe outperforms the competition by statistics, and do not hold back from contacting the manufacturer directly for information. Newer brands may not have lots of clinical studies because studies take time to finish and evaluate. Another way to know is by checking if the dog food company to know if they have employed a Board Certified Veterinary Nutritionist as one of their staff. This could mean that the dog food company knows about the product’s nutritional value.
Knowing the cause of your pet’s upset stomach is the first step to finding the best dog food for sensitive stomach. Other factors may cause a sensitive stomach, but the most likely culprit is food. Test the dog by reducing other treats and concentrating on any of the puppy food for sensitive stomachs listed above. The Hill’s Science dry food may be a great start as it is easily digestible by all dogs.
Other reviews you may also be interested in
Best dog food for allergies
5 Best dog grooming clippers
Best pooper scooper and waste bags
Automatic food feeder for cat owners
Dog dewormer over the counter