There are a lot of dog vitamins and supplements in the market, many forms and a lot of different uses. Some of them support canine overall health and development, while others can contain specific nutrients for preventing and curing specific symptoms. These are reasons why customers confused and couldn’t help their dogs, or even harm them with wrong products.
Dogs always run around, play with balls, ropes, and our clothes, and grab with their mouth anything they can find. They show us how happy life could be, they save us from upset and depress, and they’re talking to us hoping to transfer their unlimited superpower to us. We all love this crazily active style of those puppies.
But there are times dogs can’t do that when they’re sick, weakened or aged. This will hurt us as our main source of life is gone. And this urges us to try to stop the tragedy.
Medicine is the way, but it’ll be better if you use a daily prevention method for keeping your pets safe from illness. Then you should try some dog vitamins and supplements, as they are the best and easiest way to protect little puppies.
We love dogs, love the craziness and fun to what they bring. We want to spread our affection to all dogs, so today we’ll share some of our experiences to save more dog’s lives. They are our opinions about dog vitamin and supplement, the one method that can protect your beloved just by quick and easy daily feeds.
There is also a guide for choosing suitable supplements and answers for a mysterious question about them. Now, let’s go to see what vitamin and supplements are right for your dogs.
- How to Choose the Best Dog Vitamins and Supplements?
- 10 Best Dog Vitamins and Supplements Reviews
- 1. Nutramax – Cosequin DS Plus MSM Chewable Tablet : For Dog with Joint and Hip Problems
- 2. Doggie Dailies – Advanced Hip & Joint Supplements: Best for Senior Dogs
- 3. Amazing Nutritionals – Probiotic Joint for Dogs: For Dogs With Allergies
- 4. Pet-Tabs – Plus Advanced Formula Vitamin Supplement: Best Dog Vitamins For Skin and Coat
- 5. Nutri-vet Wellness – Hip & Joint Advanced Strength Chewable Tablets: Recommend for Senior Dogs
- 6. The Institute of Pet Nutrition – VitaHealth Adult: Vitamins for Dogs Eyesight
- 7. NaturVet – All-in-One 4-IN-1 Support for Dogs: Dog Multivitamin
- 8. Pet-Tabs – Original Formula Vitamin Supplement: Dog Vitamins for Scratching Problems
- 9. Particular Paws – Advanced Joint & Hip Supplement: Natural Supplements for Dogs
- 10. Milk-Bone – Good Morning Daily Vitamin Dog Treats: One a Day Vitamins for Dogs
- Q&A Dogs Vitamins and Supplements
- Our pick for the best dog vitamin and supplement
How to Choose the Best Dog Vitamins and Supplements?
Every product is produced for a specific phrase of a dog’s development. A bottle of supplements for adult dogs contains more types and content of nutrients than the one for puppies. You cannot use products for adult dogs on puppies as they’re fed too much and unhealthy. There also some chemicals that are harmful to younger dogs, and other nutrients that are only for curing illness.
The next thing to pay attention to is the ingredient. You need to choose a product that contains particular nutrients that can help your dog deal with its problems. Dogs having joint pains need supplements with glucosamine and chondroitin, dogs getting bad coat need vitamins C and E.
These useful nutrients, however, can betray you. It’s is your dog’s allergies. If it’s allergic to any substances, you need to avoid these products. Otherwise, its health status will get worse. This is also true for dogs with a specific illness. I.e: if your dog suffers from kidney impairments, it’ll be very dangerous to feed them with MSM and glucosamine. So again, you need to ask your vet before making the decision.
Also, remember not to feed pets with human supplements. They may share some nutrients with dogs supplements, but other ingredients like garlic can be harmful to dogs.
Forms of supplements
These vitamins and supplements come in various forms, from hard chewable tablets to soft and moist oil. You need to try and learn which one your dog loves to eat. It may not because of age and teeth conditions, it’s more likely the pet’s own preferences.
There are some big names in this pet industry that proved the effectiveness of their products. Choosing them is a safe option, but you can also try another brand. The important thing is that this brand has a certificate or not. Brands that are certificated, especially clinically certificated gain more credit than others.
Origin is also a significant point. It doesn’t only affect the price, but also change the trust of the customer. People tend to choose products that are produced in big countries like the U.S and British. It’s especially true with American. We’re not talking that products come from other countries are untrustworthy. But it’s always safer to buy from a place that people trust.
10 Best Dog Vitamins and Supplements Reviews
1. Nutramax – Cosequin DS Plus MSM Chewable Tablet : For Dog with Joint and Hip Problems
Most dogs will have problems with their joints some time in their life since their overactive lifestyle. Over time, dog’s joints will be tired and weakened, leading to many dangerous symptoms. So supplements that help preserve and protect canine joints and cartilage are better than other products in most situations.
They, of course, do care for the overall health with various essential nutrients. But they still contain specific substances to counter the specific illness. Nutramax Cosequin DS is a good example.
This supplement will keep your dog always active and energetic, even when they age. It has MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, significant elements for maintaining joint and cartilage. Cartilage plays as a hook between bones, if it’s loosened, joints won’t work properly and it will release pains and discomfort.
However, it will be strong and fresh thanks for these substances, thus improve its performance. Moreover, antioxidants and other nutrients included in this supplement are the substances that reduce the degeneration of joints and other body parts. So, with Nutramax Cosequin DS, your dog’s energetic and joyful fashion can last for a longer period, or even forever.
- MSM and other compounds for joint health
- Usable for dogs at all ages
- Chewable tablets make it easier for dogs to eat and digest
- Good flavors
- The brand is famous and the first recommendation of vets
- Product isn't available for customers outside the U.S
- The price is a bit higher than other products in the same category
2. Doggie Dailies – Advanced Hip & Joint Supplements: Best for Senior Dogs
Made with an exclusive formula of Doggie Dailies, this supplement is designed to give your dogs comfortable and convenient joints. Besides MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin, there are a number of useful fatty acids to lubricate joints and cartilage.
It’ll increase the strength and power of bone connections while decreasing the risk of getting friction and damage. Also, these nutrients help dogs suffer less pain and recover better if they’re wounded.
There are other useful ingredients in the product such as vitamins C & E for skin and coat health. And, Fish oil plus olive oil that provides a delicious taste and smells besides the very important nutrients.
- Taste great
- Provide nutrients for healthy joint, lubrication, and overall health
- Money-back guarantee
- Comes with 2 books
- Made in the USA
- Some dogs won’t eat these supplements
- These supplements may cause diarrhea in sensitive pets
3. Amazing Nutritionals – Probiotic Joint for Dogs: For Dogs With Allergies
This supplement enhances your dog’s immune system and deals with joint problems. Like previous products, they contain necessary substances such as glucosamine and chondroitin. But the outstanding thing is the “good bacteria”, which restore digestive balance for your dog.
Digestion is no less important than other body functions. Pets with good digestion can stay away from diarrhea, constipation or vomiting. They’ll have better antibiotics and can absorb vitamins and minerals more effectively. This increases the effectiveness of the supplements making your dog healthy and immune to sickness.
- No by-products, no allergies
- Made in the USA
- Healthy canine digestion, skin, and coat
- Refund guarantee from the manufacturer
- Taste great, bacon flavored
- No refrigeration required
- Some dogs won’t eat
4. Pet-Tabs – Plus Advanced Formula Vitamin Supplement: Best Dog Vitamins For Skin and Coat
Pet-Tabs is one of the biggest names in the pet care industry and always recommended by vets. This supplement aims for skin and coat health, with a higher content of nutrients than Pet-Tabs’ original formula.
The product comes in chewable tablets, which is good for canine teeth health, while still easy to be eaten and digested. Made in the USA, Plus advanced formula vitamin supplement is health insurance for only a few cents a day.
- Nutrients that are good for skin and coat
- Inexpensive daily health care
- Chewable tablets for dog's recreation
- Made in the USA
- This supplement doesn't focus on canine health but the taste, which makes it more flavored and attractive to dogs.
- The manufacturer doesn't list all ingredients clearly, and most of them are actually vitamins for curing sickness, only for maintaining body function.
5. Nutri-vet Wellness – Hip & Joint Advanced Strength Chewable Tablets: Recommend for Senior Dogs
Elderly dogs need different nutrients supply for maintaining body functions, as well as fighting against illness. At the age of 9 or older, dogs will suffer more pains when getting arthritis. But don’t worry as there come Hip & Joint Advanced Strength chewable tablets.
Containing manganese, copper, and zinc, this supplement can rebuild and strengthen cartilage, then connect and lubricate dog’s joints.
Moreover, MSM will keep these connections away from inflammation and get damaged again. With all this support, your old boy will be rejuvenated as a puppy running around and playing the tug-of-war game.
- Many nutrients and vitamins to protect and strengthen joints and cartilage
- Designed for dogs that are over 9, who are long-standing and weaker
- Concentrate on providing joints and cartilage protection on many aspects
- Made in the USA
- Cheap price
- Nutri-Vet doesn't give enough effort to make the supplement more delicious to dogs
- There's no cut line in the tablet, making cutting them into two equal halves is incredibly hard
6. The Institute of Pet Nutrition – VitaHealth Adult: Vitamins for Dogs Eyesight
This product has the second lowest price on our list, which is an advantage when it’s still high quality and made in the USA. This supplement contains a decent level of good vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A, C, and E, calcium, and phosphorus, etc. These nutrients improve the immune system, keep skin and coat healthy and beautiful.
Despite its name, VitaHealth Adult can be used for dogs at any age. Its ingredients are useful and healthy for any canine development stages.
If you want to add vitamins that aren’t available in a homemade meal at a reasonable cost, this supplement is what you need. When a homemade meal cannot provide a particular nutrient, this supplement is the ideal substitution.
- Ingredients that are good for the dog's overall health
- Usable for any dogs, any ages
- Made in the USA and is certified
- Chewable tablets, which dogs love much
- Higher nutrient content than an average canine product
- Financial price
- Not the best at offering delicious flavors, so some dogs won’t eat
- Have problems with packaging, there are reports that the tablets are broken and messed
7. NaturVet – All-in-One 4-IN-1 Support for Dogs: Dog Multivitamin
This is obviously the cheapest supplement we review, though it still is a great product for dogs. This supplement is best when you want all-round support your dogs. It provides useful nutrients to keep your boys as fresh and healthy as always.
It also cares for skin, coat health, and digestion, generating a perfect shield for your dogs. Digestive enzymes help dogs with digestion-related issues, which they are often caught. A healthy digestion system will promote other functions of the body, as well as improve the nutrients absorption and the immune system.
- 4-in-1 support: overall health, skin, coat, and digestion
- The product is wheat-free, which reduces the risk of obesity.
- Made in the USA and is certified to be safe and effective
- Digestive enzymes enhance other aspects of the body
- Its flavor isn't widely accepted by many dogs, some of them refuse to eat right from the first time
- Digestive enzymes, however, lead to many symptoms, such as diarrhea, vomit or nose running. One advice is to not buy this supplement when your dog is having digestive problems. It can't cure, buy medicines instead.
8. Pet-Tabs – Original Formula Vitamin Supplement: Dog Vitamins for Scratching Problems
The first (negative) impression is its incredibly luxurious price. There is no official reason why Pet-Tabs push the cost of this supplement to that high. But put it away, this is still a good product for canine overall health.
It contains 18 vitamins and minerals that are essential for a dog’s normal development. Also, these nutrients are good for the diet, thus provides more energy while maintaining the same level of fat.
This supplement consists of a high-quality source of proteins, not as high as the advanced formula though, making it more nutritious. Using it will ensure your dogs a perfect health status every day.
- High-quality source of protein
- Dietary source of vitamins and minerals
- Better health and more energy
- 18 essential vitamins and minerals
- Nutrients are natural, non-artificial substances
- Chewable tablets
- High and somewhat unreasonable price
- Having no answer for the pushing of the price
9. Particular Paws – Advanced Joint & Hip Supplement: Natural Supplements for Dogs
Advanced Joint & Hip Supplement is dedicated to curing and preventing join problems on dogs. It uses a proven formula with chondroitin, glucosamine, vitamins C & E,…to relieve joint pains and maintain joint functions. Cartilage is repaired and improved to reduce stress on the joints, while any inflammation will be eliminated by MSM.
Vitamins and minerals slow the degeneration of joints, allowing the pets more time, as well as comfortability and mobility. Your dogs will not only be cured of arthritis but also be kept away from any joint problems in the future.
- Improve mobility and relieve joint pains
- As your dogs can be cured of arthritis, they don't need medication or surgeries
- Suitable for dogs at all age, good for preventing issues of younger dogs
- Made in the USA
- Free refund policy
- The supplement causes some dogs diarrhea
- Some dogs won’t eat because of the flavor
10. Milk-Bone – Good Morning Daily Vitamin Dog Treats: One a Day Vitamins for Dogs
This seems to be the most interesting product on our list, because of the milk. Many dogs love milk, so they will love Good Morning Daily Vitamin Dog Treats. Besides milk, there is also chicken, the real chicken inside each piece. Those create a delicious supplement that every dog can’t refuse.
The tasty flavor will make it easier to feed so that we can achieve our goal faster. The supplement takes care of the immune system, as well as the brain, heart, and digestion. It doesn’t focus too much on a single aspect as some of the above but covers enough nutrients for a better canine overall health.
Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and even DHA, glucosamine, etc… This product is what you need as daily nutritious support for your babies.
- Great flavor with milk, real chicken
- Contains enough essential for normal development
- The dogs will find it fun to eat, improve their mood and mental health
- The product comes in small quantities, the largest one is just 15 ounce. This may not be enough for a long time using, requires users to buy a lot in advance
- Some customers reported to have their bones dried or bad packaged
- Some dogs are allergic to milk, thus can't use this supplement
Q&A Dogs Vitamins and Supplements
Do dogs actually need additional vitamins and supplements?
This is the first question when people think of dog vitamins and supplements. The answer is NO. Because there are lots of ways to support those nutrients that your dogs lack. The most natural way is to feed them foods containing these substances.
Vitamins A, E, Omega 3 fatty acids can be found in fish and fish oil. Omega 6 fatty acids are from olive oil and corn. Without supplements, your dog still can be fed healthily.
The problem is that there isn’t always a homemade diet that can contain all the nutrients needed. Moreover, many of us can just cook some types of canine meal every day, and lack of specialized knowledge to properly cook a healthy meal. Unless your boys are fed on processed dog food, they will be always in need of extra nutrients supply. This is when you need the help of supplements.
Are vitamins and supplements effective?
Yes, they are. Studies show that vitamins and supplements have positive effects on dealing with canine sickness. Ingredients in fish oil can reduce inflammation and minimize theme damage. Also, fatty acids in the oil provide a better and smoother coat and skin.
Glucosamine and chondroitin are proven to be able to relieve joint pains and enhance cartilage. Last but not least, antioxidants such as vitamins C & E are good for the dog’s brain and help to solve memory problems.
Do they have any adverse effects?
Vitamins and supplements are just the essential nutrients that the body lack. When there is a kind of vitamin that our homemade meal can’t provide, we should use the supplement to substitute that missing substance.
But as humans, vitamins, and supplements are completely safe until they’re excessively used. There is a maximum amount of nutrients that the body of a dog can absorb. When we break the boundary, we break our friends.
Vitamin A may be good for eyes and coat, but too much vitamin A leads to dehydration and joint pains, as well as destroy blood vessels. Calcium helps form skeleton structure, but excessive calcium causes vomiting, frequent urination, and constipation.
The side-effects of extra Omega 3 fatty acids, according to Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, include diarrhea, wound healing, weight gain and much more.
Can they replace medicine?
In some situations, dogs can be treated with vitamins and supplements to cure their illness. Arthritis is the best example. There are proven effectiveness that supplements with MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin can remove arthritis from dogs.
They also suffer from fewer pains and recover faster, without any medical help. So, if the symptoms aren’t emergent, dog vitamins and supplements can be used as a substitution for medical supply.
In addition, using vitamins and supplements can lower the chance that a dog must take surgery. When its condition turns worse, a dog may need to take surgery to reduce severe pains and stress.
This will occur more often with sickness like joint pain. But if the pet is fed with suitable daily vitamins and supplements, it’s condition may be kept at a safe level. There’ll be no extreme pains, so no need for emergent operations.
Do we need to ask the vets for using supplements?
You definitely need advice from the vets about everything related to dog vitamins and supplements. They may be chewable tablets, but they aren’t food at all.
Supplements can contain nutrients that can clearly affect canine health, especially when they’re used on a daily basis. Also, there are risks that you use them the wrong ways or even use the wrong, fake or toxic products.
So, take some time asking your vets for what you should buy and how to feed properly. But there’s one thing that you need to ask before asking these two questions: whether your lovely active dogs need some kind of supplement?
If your dog’s daily diet can provide enough essential nutrients, there is no need for an additional product. There isn’t anything good when these substances exceed the limit as we said before. Moreover, there’s some illness that needs a more direct and effective way than some chewable tablets.
They are conditions that can affect the dog’s life, and you mostly don’t know it. So, let your vets do their work, assess and decide if your dogs need supplements or some kinds of traditional therapies.
Which forms of vitamins and supplements are in?
Dog Vitamins and supplements come in various forms to attract our furry friends. Most supplements are round or oval tablets, others are in bone shape. They are often hard but crispy and chewable, making them as dog food to treat dogs to eat them. It’s also funny and enjoyable because dogs are always active, even when they’re eating.
There are also gel and liquid products for dogs with weak teeth and digestion. These supplements are often mixed with dog food to achieve the highest effectiveness.
Our pick for the best dog vitamin and supplement
After spending times to carefully assess and judge the 10 products above, we finally have our answer. The best dog vitamin and supplement in our opinion is the Nutramax Cosequin DS. This supplement contains enough essential nutrients for better canine overall health.
But they also care for joint health, the most common problems for dogs, and they did it very well. Combine with a reasonable price, this is definitely the best from our list.
But it’s just our very own opinion. Your choice shouldn’t be the same, as you need to depend on your dogs and their conditions. Just look at the detailed reviews and the buying guide, you can make the right decision. Hope we can help you save more dogs’ lives and see them crazily active again.